The architecture at Soma Kerala Palace is a blend of several remarkable structures that belong to a long-gone epoch. It is for this reason, that each of our rooms rather, royal chambers, have an old-world aura.
Sreedhari was an Ayurveda Shala (Hospital) built in 1890, functioning in Pala, Kottayam. The structure was carefully disbanded and became a part of Soma Kerala Palace in the year 2003. Today, Sreedhari has palatial rooms that are evocative of the Tharavadus of ancient Kerala.
Kozhanal Maalika (Palace) belonged to the Kozhanal Family who were Kshatriyas (The Royal Warriors). The palace which was originally built at Idakkoli Village, 40 kms from Vaikkom, became a part of Soma Kerala Palace in 2002. Now, Kozhanal Maalika has some of the most sought-after rooms of the resort.
A building by the banks of the Meenachil River near Pala, Chempulayil was built in 1890. The ground floor was used as a shop where tobacco and other natural products were stored and sold, while the first floor housed various offices. This structure which became a part of our resort in 2004, is absolutely impressive.
An ancient Tharavadu (The residence of upper caste Malayalees), Neythallor Mathom was built according to the Ettukettu architecture. The specialty of this architecture is that it has two courtyards inside the dwelling which ensure thorough air passage. Originally constructed in the Kanyakumari district of erstwhile Travancore, in the 18th century, the Mathom was reconstructed at Soma Kerala Palace in the year 2004.
Built in the early 1800’s, Nalekkatt House was owned by Suryanarayana Pillai, who assisted the Travancore King in the administration of the state. The mansion which was situated in a dense forest near Vallichira, was re-built at Soma Kerala Palace in 2003.
Kayyalakkam, a manor done completely in wood was built around 250 years ago. It originally belonged to the Poothet Family but was later on sold to the Kayyalakkakam Family. The mansion which became a part of Soma Kerala Palace in 2004, is a luxurious affair with intricately carved wooden floor, walls and roof.
Situated in the Pala marketplace, Vattakkunnel was constructed in 1875. It was here that the farmers brought their produce of chukku (dried ginger) and elakkaya (cardamom) to be bartered for salt and tobacco. The structure was built at Soma Kerala Palace as it was, in the year 2004.
A farmer’s house originally built in Bharananganam, Mannur was located 55 kms away from Soma Kerala Palace. The house was built in 1850 and belonged to a rich family called Kallunthalakkal, who were basically farmers. The Tharavaadu built by Kallunthalakkal Chacko housed three generations. It was reconstructed to be a part of Kerala Palace in 2004.
The V.T’s House was originally built at Pala town in 1890. The house was constructed by V.T.Thomas, an entrepreneur who built it to store and sell natural goods that were brought from the forest. The structure was reconstructed at Soma Kerala palace just as it was, in 2003.